Tuesday, September 18, 2007

HARDtalk Interview on BBC - Updated

Finally I managed to watch the entire interview courtesy of YouTube.. yet again! What will we all do without YouTube!. Anyway imagine watching the entire 20 plus minutes of clip over a dial-up Internet connection! I almost gave up after the first 2 segments.
But I was really intrigued about the whole thing and decided to finish watching it by hook or crook and finish it I did. It was the same old Spinning Jenny in action throughout the interview. Frankly speaking I was really embarrassed by the answer given by the minister and the way he went around answering the question. Mind you , this show must've been shown worldwide and I cant help but think about the image being sent out about the country.
Below are some of the answers/comments by the minister that caught my attention :

  • Indians in Malaysia have a better household income vs Malays
  • 'Total' University intake in the country is higher for Non-Malays vs Malays (notice the 'Total', maybe the minister forgot to mention the difference between the private and public U intakes in the country)
  • Government scholarship is open for ALL races without bias
  • Non-Malays, especially the Chinese enjoy a bigger chunk of the government contracts vs Malays
  • Malaysia is not a racist country and its citizens are NOT racially polarised either
  • Lina Joy only wanted to change her name and she is/was not blocked to convert to Christianity or any religion for that matter
  • Syariah Court is for Muslims ONLY
  • Malaysia is an Islamic State

Apart from being embarrassed , I found it very amusing and funny - the answers given. I suggest you go and view the YouTube clips if you want to be amused. I am just lost for words.

What the SUI!

No comments: